Cambridge, United Kingdom
Member for 6 years, 2 months
What's to say? My real name's Tom Yates; check my personal website for a touch more detail, if you want to. I've been a professional UNIX/network sysadmin since 1991, and currently sysadmin free software for a living through my own little company. I sometimes write for LWN.
For those kind enough to care, I take the masculine pronoun by preference. That's it.
- Server Fault 76.6k 76.6k 2020 gold badges172172 silver badges223223 bronze badges
- Open Source♦ 33.9k 33.9k 44 gold badges7777 silver badges118118 bronze badges
- Travel 8.7k 8.7k 22 gold badges3535 silver badges5454 bronze badges
- Stack Overflow 1.9k 1.9k 22 gold badges1111 silver badges88 bronze badges
- The Workplace 1.8k 1.8k 11 gold badge55 silver badges77 bronze badges
- View network profile
Top network posts
- 302 How do I prevent colleagues from making fun of the length of my password?
- 179 reverse the order of characters in a string
- 165 Does drilling a hole into a hard drive suffice to make its data unrecoverable?
- 161 What is a challenge password?
- 134 What is "-bash: !": event not found"
- 117 Perform rsync while following sym links
- 108 How to answer "Have you ever been refused a visa?" if I've had a refusal overturned
- View more network posts →