Some assorted thoughts and principles:
- Questions are underappreciated. Everyone wants to reward answers, few admire a good question.
- It’s fine to ask an ‘easy’ or ‘basic’ question, as long as it’s focused, coherent and not a duplicate.
- The best questions are atomic, focused on a single problem. The worst questions are those that require untangling several layers of confusion.
- If the question asked about X, the answer should be about X. Even if the question falls victim to the XY problem, you should still explain why X is a poor solution to Y.
- Researched answers are better than speculative answers. Cite standards. Cite the source code. Cite papers. Cite historical evidence. Don’t just go by your memory or gut instinct.
- Beware of experiments. Just because something worked for you once doesn’t mean it will keep working when the environment changes. You must understand how the experiment depends on the experimental conditions before drawing conclusions from the results.
- The best answer is often the one with the fewest downvotes, not the most upvotes.
Member for 7 months
0 profile views
Last seen Feb 20 at 20:15
- Stack Overflow 14.1k 14.1k 1212 silver badges3737 bronze badges
- Retrocomputing 9.5k 9.5k 22 gold badges3535 silver badges7474 bronze badges
- Unix & Linux 1.4k 1.4k 22 silver badges2323 bronze badges
- Meta Stack Exchange 1.1k 1.1k 33 silver badges1717 bronze badges
- Open Source 390 390 11 silver badge99 bronze badges
- View network profile
Top network posts
- 101 Why didn't Windows 98 need the "Starting Windows 98..." screen?
- 62 Why does DOS ask for the current date and time upon booting?
- 48 Why were single quotes ('…') chosen for characters, and double quotes ("…") for strings?
- 46 How fast were BASIC interpreters in the 80s? (Is this optimization for speed really necessary?)
- 39 How can I play QBasic Nibbles on a modern machine?
- 37 What 8086 instructions accept REP?
- 33 How can I extract the contents of a Windows 3.1 (16-bit) game EXE file?
- View more network posts →
Keeping a low profile.
This user hasn't posted yet.