In a recent meta post, which has since changed dramatically so many comments are no longer on topic there, a moderator said a few things that I feel need to be discussed.
The following quotes are from revision 2, of the above linked post.
We've created a tool that gives us statistics on what reviews are being done, compared to what the results are. From the numbers that gives us, we calculate some more stats. Remember flag weight? Sort of like that.
- Wasting moderator time
- Flagging simply to increase flag weight
- Actively harming the site by taking the above bullet to the extreme
Everyone has a review weight, and there's a threshold at which we'll issue a review ban. The good news is it's hard to reach that threshold. If we're handing out bans, there's something seriously wrong going on. The other good news is nobody's hit it yet.
How is this review weight calculated and how are you preventing the issues mentioned above from becoming a problem here? How is the threshold determined and how will you handle it as the community grows? Especially considering this:
The other important point to note here is we're not robots. We won't just go handing out bans for the sake of it: if someone's hit the threshold, we'll take a look and investigate first. If there are legitimate reasons why it's happened, that's fine.
It sounds like you are adding a lot more work for yourself (bullet one from above?).
My questions about this entire process, since it seems to have been announced and then removed entirely from the post making the announcement:
- Why is the moderation team on Open Source bringing back a concept conceptually similar to flag weight - which was removed years ago?
- Are there other communities on the Stack Exchange network utilizing this process? If so, how has it worked out for them? I think experience and information from how it's working elsewhere would be helpful to see. If not, why is Open Source going with a new process that is different from the rest of the network?
- What is your process for determining a user's "review weight"? How flag weight was calculated was well documented. This new "review weight" needs to be documented as well. Not just to "some extent", but documented to the point where the community understands what is happening, how it is happening and why it is happening.
- When was this going to be re-announced? It was edited into a question. It generated comments, garnered down votes and was then edited out. It does a disservice to the community for the moderators to built a way to judge the users in the community and not explain what they are doing, how they are doing it and put the only announcement that this even exists in a post that originally read as a non-specific threat to all users to be on better behavior.